Unshackled

Compassion without restriction. De-sensitizing desensitization. Liberating with choices. Renouncing with dignity. Applauding with respect.

Sunday, April 30, 2006

About experiences and all...

Compassion. It is because we feel compassionately towards people who are being marginalized that we put ourselves at stake for their freedom. But it's never compassion alone. Something, somewhere along our past, triggers us and pinches us to force a change. Its very much like previous relationships. We carry the baggage from our past experiences to every aspect of our lives. As sisters, mothers, wives or friends - whatever dimension our existence takes- we draw upon our past experiences to percieve and mould the future.

I've been carrying many a baggages with me. I'm glad I chose the program(assaulted women and child counselling and advocacy) I did. It's helping me not only grow as a person, but use my experience to make a difference out there.

As i further my education, I build upon my experiences and draw lessons to guide me. During one of our Child witness to violence classes, Jaswant, our professor, said:
"Tradional approach for centuries has been to put away your experiences and move on. As if to trash it and forget it. Feminist approach says to use your experiences to enhance yourself."

I suppose this is what has helped me in my counselling work as well as education, thus far. As long as those experience do not interfere or trigger me, I'll keep building on it! This semester I'm taking Child witness to Women Abuse (because we KNOW that women and child abuse are interconnected!) and issues related to Gender, Race and Class. Ofcourse, Integrative Seminar as well. I've officially completed the first part of Working with Abuse Women Partners. I still have my english and Intro to Fem to complete (I missed out on these courses because of my 3 mth trip to South Asia!)

I've started this blog not only to account for all the learning i do over the next 3 yrs, but as a guideline for those who wish to step into the counselling/social law/ feminism field in the future.
Without it being said, your work as a counsellor does impact you. It's not a 9-5 job. Inevitably, you walk home carrying with you sounds and emotions of someone in despair. Someone hurting in agony. It's not easy when your mind keeps repeating the sound of an 8 yr old very solemnly saying 'I wish I could die!" or a 27 yr old woman, after being physically abused saying 'I want to be with him'. Granted it's not easy, I believe befriending, without judging, is the best support we can offer!

And THAT is my new resolution. Not just for my professional life. I wish to work on the relations the I have been judgemental about. I wish to make a difference and I wont make a difference as long as I am judgemental abt others' intentions.

p.s. all those into political action, there's a protest being held at queen st to demand higher minimum wage levels for single families on May 24th. Contact myself or Cindy for more information.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:30 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is a great idea!!!!!! It'd be great to refer back to our learning experience to refresh our compassion once we're out there working years down the road.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home