Unshackled

Compassion without restriction. De-sensitizing desensitization. Liberating with choices. Renouncing with dignity. Applauding with respect.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Group Process I: Jigsaw Puzzle

I did my first group therapy yesterday (i also did my first unsupervised counselling, but that's for another post!). One of the courses I have this semester is Group Process with Jo Petite. During this course we have to combine everything we've already learnt and facilitate group therapy sessions. Many of us have already been conducting group therapy sessions in shelters and workshops or drop-in centres. But for some of my classmates this was a new experience.

Usually in RECentres, when we facilitate group therapies, we focus on a single problem. Be it family, drugs, alcohol, abuse, violence, play etc. Because this was a new group, we weren't focussed on any single issue. So without a theme, we worked on a goal.

The goal of the group process we conducted was:
1. to become more aware of ourselves in a group (am I a leader, am I a follower, am I competitive, am I laid back, am I confrontational?)
2. be focussed/goal oriented
3. Understand what roles we play within relations (contextual and non contextual)
4. How do I interact with others around me?
5. How do I work with others around me? Do we work parallel with each other? (Do our individual work and combine efforts later) Do we combine our efforts and work together towards one goal? etc

For this exercise, we divided the group in pairs. So for a class of 17, we had 8 groups with one group of three. During this class, we handed out everyone a ziplock bag with jigsaw puzzles in it. From each ziplock bag, we took out one piece and placed in a randomly different bag. The group did not know abt this switch. Everyone was told to complete the jigsaw puzzle.

We observed. Once everyone completed their puzzle, we re-grouped into a larger group and asked everyone to discuss what they learnt. This challenged everyone.

Some observed that they were control freaks. Some observed that they shouted out 'I'm done, I'm done' as soon as they were done. (even though, no one was being timed). Some decided to help out others once they were done. (they were focussed on a larger group). Some sat back while their partner hunted for the missing piece, some groups spread out to find the missing piece. Some assumed leadership and delegated. Others let it go. Some mothers said that while at home they have to be incharge of everything, in class they were happy that someone else was running the show (that's so me!!).

Watch out for more unique group therapies we come up with!:P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home